BakingBar’s owner, David Purdon, shares with us his fantastic recipe to make Jam and coconut sponge (trust us, it’s delicious). We highly reccomend heading over to the BakingBar site, or following them on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for top tips and drool-inducing photos of sweet treats. Over to you David!
This cake can be made in a traditional round cake form or in a loaf tin. I love loaf tin cakes as they slice so neatly and are easy to serve alongside a cup of tea.
175g Caster Sugar
2tsp Vanilla Extract/Essence
175g NEILL’S® Self Raising Flour
Half a Jar of your favourite Strawberry Jam
100g Desiccated Coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Lightly grease a loaf tin.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and pale.
4. Beat in the eggs one a time until well combined.
5. Beat in the vanilla extract.
6. Fold in the sieved flour.
7. Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf tin. Spread out evenly.
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool for 15 mins before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
10. Once cool cover with the strawberry jam ensuring the cake is well covered.
11. Sprinkle the top and sides with the desiccated coconut. Press the coconut lightly against the cake to help it stick. Store in a air tight tin or box.